OH MY GAWD, they had me at profession…
For a long time now, I’ve had a vision of the role I wanted to play in Star Citizen. I saw myself playing out a female version of Mal from Firefly. My love for FF is undeniable. I create and sell FF inspired jewelry. On some level, this role would also mirror my career in EVE Online, which existed long before there were salvage specific ships available.
In EVE, salvage appealed to me because I liked the freedom to engage random rats and salvage their ships while exploring, salvage kills from riding shotgun during mining ops, leech cleaning around AFK miners and cleaning up after my own PVE missions. It certainly didn’t hurt that salvage was lucrative, even for freshies, which is what I was when I started. I suddenly had a license to print ISK in EVE, after a long suffering stint of poverty. As such, my vision for SC was a more RP and environmentally lush version of this. I knew there would be piracy/PVP, FPS pew-pew, industry/mining, etc., none of which excited me as a primary focus. I was content and excited about the vision I held.
To cement my vision, I purchased a Freelancer, now upgraded to Freelancer MAX before they announced the salvage specific ship, the Reclaimer. Even so, the FM would be good enough until I upgraded in the future to the Reclaimer. La la la, all was settled in my SC world.
That was until I saw a YouTube video discussing the recently unveiled Genesis Starliner and the accompanying transport career. My mouth fell open, hit the floor and remained there. I watched the video multiple times. I went to the RSI website and read the content for myself. Why oh why, did RSI include interactive content allowing you to see the travel brochures someone might read when planning a vacation and then choose a destination from an airport departures board, which tied to a short RP story of a passenger aboard the ship. It was a sucker punch to my gut that excited me for a SC experience that was very different from the one I had planned in my head.
I could pilot and manage a civilian transport business. I COULD PILOT AND MANAGE A CIVILIAN TRANSPORT BUSINESS. I could do this with friends. I could do this with guildmates! WhatchootalkinboutWillis??
- Mid-range luxury civilian transport ship.
- Modular design seating up to 100 economy passengers, or less as a mixture of economy, business class and luxury.
- Versatile interior design can also used to transport and repair race ships, military troops transport or fitted out as private luxury liner.
- Is same ship-class used for the SC equivalent of Air Force One, The UEE Imperator’s transport ship.
- Is big. Is beautiful. Is WOW.
- Comes with Lifetime Insurance (LTI)
- Formal career and mechanics being designed around civilian transport.
- Requires obtaining licenses to operate out of your desired travel hubs.
- Requires clean criminal record to obtain and maintain licenses.
- Incorporates a reputation systems based on passenger satisfaction.
- May require actual crew depending on configuration/passenger count.
- On-board mini games provide customer service tasks such as food and beverage service, entertainment centers, in-flight mechanical and medical emergencies, etc..
- Crew roles can be fulfilled by other players or you can hire NPC flight attendants.
WHY I’M ENTHRALLED
- I prefer when there are mechanics in MMOs that allow me to take on a role that feels as though I have an on-going existence in the world beyond showing up to do quests and craft. The EQ2 crafting and housing system allowed me to establish and run a decorating service. ArcheAge for all its other faults, had a detailed crafting and economy which served the same, that I really enjoyed.
- I play and enjoy task based / time management games such as the various Dash games and the survival but heavily time management slanted, Don’t Starve / Don’t Starve Together.
- I’m a long time The Sims fan who is brimming with ideas of how you can really RP this ship and career, not to mention the modularity of the ship itself, which will lend to all sorts of personalized and flavorful transport services.
- Get tired of transporting civilians, carry race ships. Get tired of trucking race ships, it can be outfitted for military operations for your corporation and allies. Over that, setup for search and rescue. Lots of options to choose from to change up your game play or help your friends and corp.
- It’s a completely new and unique gaming experience/profession!
- I’m like a cat. When I enjoy an activity in game, I can do it routinely without becoming board. Just ask my ArcheAge guildmates about me a running trade packs. LOL Who I would also transport goods for using my farm wagon, for the modest price of one free trade pack for me to turn in too and some boosted fuel.
I shouldn’t have but I COULD NOT HELP MYSELF. I pledged / purchased the Genesis Starliner. As I said, they had me at profession.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Adventure in Salvaging
3.18 PTU Salvage
Create Your Own GameGlass Shard!